After the page divider proposal was voted on by the studio I then revised the idea with the help of Alistair. I looked further into the work of Jan Tschichold who created the Penguin Composition Rules and had input from Alistair which really refined the initial design to be used in everyone’s books.
The last day of the term was publication day! Time for everyone’s prints, covers and divider pages to finally come together after what seemed like a really short term…
With our upcoming prints soon to be bound in order to create the first Ellipsis publication of the term, we headed into the letterpress room in order to create some promotional material for the launch.
For my prints I looked at the themes of layering and overprinting so I could explore how colours react when they are layered both in photoshop and when printed.
For our visual aesthetic, we had decided on the theme of hands and circles but felt that our colour scheme was a little all over the place.
In our group, I think it was safe to say that costing was a key driving force for our designing. Having a budget of £750 we wanted to keep to as close to that as possible in case we had any issues with fundraising.
Rather than having design competition today we’ve had a core workshop in visual research and actually it’s helped be out majorly for our current studio project.
At this point I feel like there are a million different elements that we have to think about for our pitch in a few weeks, but we’ve been managing to break down everything little by little so it’s less terrifying…
Our core workshop today was with Alistair and was a similar discussion we had with him last year as a part of Studio Impression.
For the Summer Show we’ve used Sign Language and the imagery of hands as a starting point for our image making. During my initial research into hands, I’d seen plaster casting as a way of producing hands in a cheaper way than ordering wooden hands that artists reference.