CIP: Collection Running Order

I had finalised my content for my Collection publication but the next task was to then work out the running order and the total word count. Last time I printed a book with Blurb I hadn’t understood the process particularly well so ended up with blank pages at the end of it; while it didn’t ruin the book, it definitely wasn’t something I wanted for a portfolio book.

This time when I laid out the pages I needed to have them divide by four in order to not have any blank pages. Therefore I drew up a plan in my sketchbook of the kind of layouts I wanted and how many pages I would have. Overall they totalled to 48 pages which would work and I felt they gave the projects plenty of pages to work across. Also I thought that the 40-50 mark works well for the magazine format because it doesn’t look like too little pages and it also isn’t too much where it then looks like I should have picked another format to print my publication.

After I had sketched out my layouts and what would go on each page I set up my inDesign document to the page numbers I wanted and placed dummy text into the file. I found that once I had the dummy text in place and everything was to the size that the document would be printed, I had actually left too much space for the projects. For example Pastiche 1560 was given 3 spreads/6 pages, one for my research of Mary Blair, one for my Hannah Davies research and another spread for the outcome. Therefore I changed the amount of pages for each of the projects in my publication slightly on the inDesign file to create a more streamlined running order.

Another thing that I changed once I had the document up and running was the inclusion of project dividers. As I had reduced the page count by including more text on a page and therefore less white space, I felt I needed to find a way to add some breathing room for the pages and content of the book. Rather that using a single page as a divider I kept it to a spread as this meant that the pages didn’t feel unnatural to read. I found it interesting how much the layout and order of the pages changed from the original sketches in my sketchbook.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s