Ellipsis: Paper to the Power of Five

On the flip side of the studio’s first homework task, we were now to create five different prints using one type of paper but five different printing methods.

So I think for myself the most difficult part of this was using the same paper because I’m awful at keeping large amounts of one type of paper. Everything I use comes from a paper box with odd and sods in it so I think by the time I got to screenprinting I actually had run out… I know that means I technically come off of the homework brief I think it still help show me a lot.

Lino Print | 2017 | Hannah Phillips

First up on my printing list was lino printing as I had created an image for the first task and wanted to use this to keep consistency between the two parts so I could compare the printing methods and different papers. As I printed this at home the image didn’t show up as solidly as I’d had hoped on the G F Smith stock I was using. It did however dry beautifully. The ink was consistent as possible with the crap job I had done with the print and there was still a good texture with the ink as it was a smooth paper.

After I made the first print I took a photo of the lino and edited it so I could print it out on my inkjet printer. As this was digital the image was strong and the paper quality was high so it looked fine. I didn’t find it exciting but it did the job and I printed a few extra test copies of the image so I could go on and use it for the other methods.

Mono Print | 2017 | Hannah Phillips

With the first test sheet from the inkjet printer I decided to mono print with it. I did this in the uni with the oil based ink in the hope of getting a solid outcome. I think the hardest thing about this method of printing is not ruining the outcome with heavy hands. But there was also the issue of over or under inking the print and you don’t really know until you have the outcome. I really liked the outcomes I got with this method though and the smooth G F Smith paper really picked up all the textures from the ink.

Stencil | 2017 | Hannah Phillips

The sheet that I had been drawing on top of to mono print with then became my stencil for printing. I cut out the inside of the image; because I was using the standard printer paper the stencil wasn’t particularly strong and I broke it before I even took a print… So  I placed the stencil on the paper and used my spray ink over the top. I think this is the weakest outcome I produced due to the stencil. The image had blurred lines and lost the inky texture that I liked with the other printing methods. I know for text time to use a card stock though at the very least so I can print more than one image!


Finally the most time consuming method.. Screenprinting! I was actually dreading this because I think of a painful time consuming method but I think when it’s open access and you’re not doing it with a whole class it feels much more productive and it’s made me want to get back into the room to print. Myself, Puro, Hubert and Katherine decided that because we were all printing at the size of A4 that the four of us would all share a screen and print together with the aim of it being quicker and helping each other out. We had a few problems with our screen being taken and the images not taking to the screen we then used. But we managed to get there and print! The outcomes I produced were not on the same paper as my others however I got some really solid looking prints and I’m now thinking about this as a method of printing for Material Process Print.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s