For our visual aesthetic, we had decided on the theme of hands and circles but felt that our colour scheme was a little all over the place.
In our group, I think it was safe to say that costing was a key driving force for our designing. Having a budget of £750 we wanted to keep to as close to that as possible in case we had any issues with fundraising.
Rather than having design competition today we’ve had a core workshop in visual research and actually it’s helped be out majorly for our current studio project.
At this point I feel like there are a million different elements that we have to think about for our pitch in a few weeks, but we’ve been managing to break down everything little by little so it’s less terrifying…
Our core workshop today was with Alistair and was a similar discussion we had with him last year as a part of Studio Impression.
For the Summer Show we’ve used Sign Language and the imagery of hands as a starting point for our image making. During my initial research into hands, I’d seen plaster casting as a way of producing hands in a cheaper way than ordering wooden hands that artists reference.
Part of our brief has been to design the page dividers for the collective book. The aim of my design was to be clean, simple and solid because everyone’s individual pages are all going to be so different.
As well as producing the prints for the collective book we are all also each having our own cover design so today we looked at what makes a good book cover.
Last year I was in the Impression studio and between us we managed to design and print the whole of the Summer Show catalogue. So our group has used some of that knowledge to guide our proposal.
After spending the last few days in bed with the flu, I needed to get out and get inspired so I went to the Small Publishers Fair with the studio. This event is an annual gathering of contemporary artists, writers and book designers who showcase their work.