Ellipsis: Colour to the Power of Five

The final part of the ‘Power of Five’ series has been to test colour;  the idea was to use two colours and experiment with their printing and overlapping.

For each of these research tasks I have experimented with lino printing and it was starting to get a little expensive… So while I was reading the book Block Print I came across the idea of using foam as a cheap, while slightly crude, way of printing. Basically what I had to do was cut the shapes I needed out of the foam and then stick them onto a board in order to then ink it up and print. With the foam I was also able to press into the material which mimicked the idea of lino.

IMG_7113
Lino Print Colour Test on Tracing Paper | 2017 | Hannah Phillips

For my experiments I created four layers. These layers were a simple mountain scene of block colour and on the top layer I made an impression of some trees just to see how well the lino effect worked. I found that once the ‘carve’ of the trees had been printed twice I had to go back over the impressions again as ink had worked its way into the grooves. Overall I think that foam works as a really great substitute for lino on a budget/ to produce experiments. However the main aim of this task was to look at colour and I think this definitely helped me to start thinking about colour (colour proper scares me). With these prints I really liked the subtle difference between the layers. For example the first red layer came out solid red but the second red came out more as a claret as it was pressed on top of the blue.

IMG_7117
Prints Bound with Thread | 2017 | Hannah Phillips

Part of the task was to then bind the outcome and as my subject matter wasn’t my bulldog this time I opted away from the bulldog clip… This time I threaded the pages together because I happened to have a claret thread that matched one of the layers and I also thought it felt quite natural.

IMG_7120
Digital Print Colour Test | 2017 | Hannah Phillips

During this task I also looked into complementary colours and wanted a way of producing quicker tests than that of the lino. Using PicMonkey I simply made two different images different colours and printed a layer at a time on my digital printer. I liked the overlapping colours produced and this was a good way of being able to test out colour combinations without committing to too much!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s