Rather than having design competition today we’ve had a core workshop in visual research and actually it’s helped be out majorly for our current studio project.
Basically we had to use different research methods to collect data about the local area which we were to then edit down and present to the rest of the studio. Ways of recording included the following:
- Overheard conversations
- Written descriptions
- Portraits, buildings and signage
- Photographs and illustration
- Found objects
- Bishopsgate Archive
In our group we created a folder which contained all our research and from there we created our own designs. I went down a quite graphic route where I used Photoshop and Illustrator to layer up the images, only changing the blending modes of the layers. This method allowed the layers of research to show through other layers which was my aim to represent the history of the area. I did actually keep the ‘Spitalfie1ds’ sign on each of the posters because I think it helped to pull them together and create more of an identity.
Once I had made my designs I played around with them to create two colour prints from the colours that were used in some of the Spitalfields leaflets that we saw at the Bishopsgate Archive. I think they produced interesting outcomes which I’d like to try maybe screen printed; I’m not sure digitally printed they look effective enough for our little exhibition at the end of the day!
In regards to the Material Process Print brief I have been looking at printing various layers to see what colours are made when placed on top of each other. I think this is another way of creating work similar to that, so I think would be interesting to print off digitally and then layer by layer to see if there is any difference between layering on screen and layering the ink when printing.