Design Competition: Portfolio Layouts

Creating the pages for my physical portfolio was a much more straightforward task than I thought it would be because by this point I’d already come up with my ‘branding’.

Basically, I knew I was going to use the colour blue that I’d used on my business cards because it’s an easy way to link the too and I wanted a graphic element on the page that made it look like more than just a white sheet. From my research, I had all intentions of keeping the layouts as simple as possible because these were the ones that I felt worked more effectively. Rather than have an image per page and that be it I thought that using the types: Playlist Script and Gidole that I used on my cards would be a good way of tying together my physical promotional products. This is the part of the process I questioned myself a lot over… So you want to use a type on an InDesign document, right? What would you do? You’d go and download it from its source (assuming you didn’t already have it saved on your computer). Oh no. That would be too easy… As I’d designed by business cards on the Canva app on my phone I was using the types their too and the knowledge I could download these on my computer had completely escaped me. So, what I’d done was type each word I wanted on my phone, saved this and then placed that onto the document. Therefore, rather than the word being ‘text’ it was actually an ‘image’ with a white background so it was tricky to use and when I did, it didn’t look that high of quality. Then my head fell into my hands as I realised I’d wasted an easy hour of my time. Alas, I was about to use the higher quality text eventually!

Once I knew I had these elements I needed to actually lay them out on the document. I played about with the positioning of the graphic to start with. My idea was to keep this away from the edge of the page so when I printed the sheet I wouldn’t have a border that I’d have to trim. When I’d positioned this in a place I was happy with I simply used it for the cover sheet and my back sheet of the portfolio. Then for the other pages which actually had my work on it, I decided to elongate the box to fill up more of the page; it meant that there was less white paper.

But it was then laying out the actual photos of my work! I felt two pages with two clear images per project would be a good idea because it kept it to the point, kept it minimal and left room for some text. Also, as many of my projects are books if I went to an interview I’d take them along with me in my bag so they could get a feel for the book and a real look at the content if they were interested. I moved the images around but really took me a while to find a layout I liked. I decided to butt the images up to the edge of the page this time around and have all the ‘covers’ laid out on one side and then the spread or whatever the next image of the project was laid on the right to alternate them subtly.

Overall I’m happy with the simple layouts as I think they allow the images the space to breathe and speak for themselves. However until I print these I don’t know how effective they’ll be as the images have solid black backgrounds and then the blue graphic element could cause me issues as I’d be printing the pages myself and that’s a really heavy ink coverage!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s