Rather than having design competition today we’ve had a core workshop in visual research and actually it’s helped be out majorly for our current studio project.
At this point I feel like there are a million different elements that we have to think about for our pitch in a few weeks, but we’ve been managing to break down everything little by little so it’s less terrifying…
Our core workshop today was with Alistair and was a similar discussion we had with him last year as a part of Studio Impression.
For the Summer Show we’ve used Sign Language and the imagery of hands as a starting point for our image making. During my initial research into hands, I’d seen plaster casting as a way of producing hands in a cheaper way than ordering wooden hands that artists reference.
Part of our brief has been to design the page dividers for the collective book. The aim of my design was to be clean, simple and solid because everyone’s individual pages are all going to be so different.
As well as producing the prints for the collective book we are all also each having our own cover design so today we looked at what makes a good book cover.
Last year I was in the Impression studio and between us we managed to design and print the whole of the Summer Show catalogue. So our group has used some of that knowledge to guide our proposal.
After spending the last few days in bed with the flu, I needed to get out and get inspired so I went to the Small Publishers Fair with the studio. This event is an annual gathering of contemporary artists, writers and book designers who showcase their work.
Personally I’ve been finding the fundraising element of the Summer Show proposal the hardest element to think about. So rather than give any one person the task of coming up with how we were going to do that we brainstormed ideas as a group.
The final part of the ‘Power of Five’ series has been to test colour; the idea was to use two colours and experiment with their printing and overlapping.