Printing the Summer Show Catalogue for me was one of the most stressful tasks in the leading up to the Final Hand In. As this was a group project with so many different elements to think about: layering, the finished page designs, riso ink and how the riso lays ink down on a page.
The aim was for us to start printing on Tuesday morning so I asked Angharad if there was anything that needed changing with my Dialogue process pages because I was eager to start riso printing as soon as possible!
After creating the templates for the process pages I then had the chance to create the process pages for the Dialogue studio. I thought it would be as simple as placing their information into the template but it really wasn’t!
In order to ensure that all the process pages were consistent throughout the riso catalogue I set about setting up a template for everyone to use based on Billy’s design (it would have been super quick but he had it saved on Photoshop and not on inDesign with grids!).
Choosing the colour red to print the Impression signage with was possibly the most frustrating mistake I could have made! I adore the colour when it’s printed in solid colour because it just pops but when it comes to printing solid colours the riso roller seems to hate making masters without giving me hell.
After discussing my signage ideas with Angharad and the rest of the studio I went to the letterpress room to develop both the typography for Impression as well as the manicule that I intended on using as a directional device.
Today looked at the work of Wim Crouwel and the way he designed type and posters in order to take inspiration for the creation of the signage for the Summer Show.
I already had the idea of using a manicule with the Impression signage so the next stage was to actually come up with a type to write the work Impression with.
To think about ways of using the riso printer for the Riso Show project, I looked at Rollo Press to get an understanding of how they use the printer to produce publications.
Myself and Hannah were given the task of creating the signage for the Impression studio. For my proposal for the signage I really liked the idea of using the manicule or ‘printer’s fist. This would then be placed next to the word Impression.