Rather than having design competition today we’ve had a core workshop in visual research and actually it’s helped be out majorly for our current studio project.
Our core workshop today was with Alistair and was a similar discussion we had with him last year as a part of Studio Impression.
Part of our brief has been to design the page dividers for the collective book. The aim of my design was to be clean, simple and solid because everyone’s individual pages are all going to be so different.
As well as producing the prints for the collective book we are all also each having our own cover design so today we looked at what makes a good book cover.
After spending the last few days in bed with the flu, I needed to get out and get inspired so I went to the Small Publishers Fair with the studio. This event is an annual gathering of contemporary artists, writers and book designers who showcase their work.
The final part of the ‘Power of Five’ series has been to test colour; the idea was to use two colours and experiment with their printing and overlapping.
Trees into paper. Now I’ve tried making paper out of paper (bare with me) I’m amazed how anyone gets paper out of trees.
Today we did a drawing task at the British Museum where we choose an object to draw and we observed how people moved around the space.
In small groups we looked at each other’s responses to the Paper to the Power of Five and Print to the Power of Five tasks; it was really insightful to see everyone else’s thoughts and processes.
On the flip side of the studio’s first homework task, we were now to create five different prints using one type of paper but five different printing methods.